52 dates // 27

old rag hike // 52 dates // a thousand threads
The date // A hike up Old Rag in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The snack // Hand pies, a baguette we snagged from the market, a little cheese, and the best apricots ever at the summit.

Yesterday Mark and I put everything else in the world on hold. We packed a bag, pulled on our boots, and drove to the Shenandoah National Park to finally tackle a trek we’ve been talking about for years.

After a 2 1/2 hour drive through some of the most beautiful country around, we started our 5 hour round trip hike straight up the hill — something Mark warned me was coming, but I had no idea.

old rag hike // 52 dates // a thousand threadsold rag hike // 52 dates // a thousand threads
The trail up to Old Rag is truly straight up, and every time you think you’re about to reach the summit, you don’t. It took us close to 3 hours, maybe a little less, uphill and over rocks to reach the gorgeous view above.

And like so many treks before, the effort was so worth it.

old rag hike // 52 dates // a thousand threads
Even more, though, the escape was therapeutic. \

Right now our life is all go go go. Most days we barely have time to breathe. Venturing out beyond cell service, sweating in the sun, lunching at the top of the mountain in the cool clean air – it was the medicine I needed to get me through another busy week.

Follow along on the rest of our 52 dates here!

1. Posted July 8, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I love this date! It’s so important to disconnect and spend quality time with your favorite people. One of my most memorable vacations was a four day camping trip in Utah with my boyfriend. It felt like the rest of the world was so far away. You captured some beautiful photos on your hike!

2. Mom
    Posted July 8, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

So glad you took time to do one of the things you both love. It looks like a beautiful hike

3. Posted July 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Such beautiful photos! I’ve been hiking there, but it’s been a while! Now, I really want to again. I love the idea of the 52 dates!

Posted July 9, 2014 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Aww thank you, Jenna! You definitely should!

4. Posted July 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

What an absolutely gorgeous day!

5. Posted July 9, 2014 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Cute! Bah – I went on a hike on monday but mine ended in a sprained ankle and a trip to the ER! HAHA! Glad your hike went much more smoothly 🙂 The view looks amazing!

Posted July 9, 2014 at 10:16 am | Permalink

OH NO! Hope you’re feeling better now!