What are your favorite travel resources?

what are your favorite travel resources? // a thousand threads // photo by tin nguyen
When Mark and I travel, we tend to put a disproportionate amount of effort into eating (surprise, surprise). Our meals are mapped out well in advance, usually with a little wish list on the side of places we’d love to eat if we could just manage to stuff it all in. (And I’m glad you asked… yes, we do usually feel sick by the time we come home.)

So, needless to say, some of our very favorite travel resources involve finding the best places to eat — Anthony Bourdain’s “Layover” guides, for example, are amazing, and Yelp is always an old standby. I’m also a big fan of Fodor’s (and when we’re feeling really fancy, a quick look at the Michelin guide).

But when it comes to other planning resources, we’re not so well-versed.

What tools do you love to use to plan your vacations? Do you worry as much about food as we do? Or do you have an awesome resource that hits the nail on the best activities every time?

We only have a month until we leave for Ireland and France, so I’m dying to know!

Photo by Tin Nguyen.

1. Posted July 24, 2014 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I find that bloggers have some of the best recommendations–I always try to find a few who live in the city I’m visiting, and wind up feeling like a local!

Posted July 24, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

You’re so right! There’s nothing like a recommendation from someone who lives there.

2. Posted July 24, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Food is definitely the most important thing to me when it comes to traveling, haha!! Going to cafes and restaurants is something my husband and I love. When I’m hunting for places, I usually discover them through blogs. When a place is worth visiting, you can bet that people are going to be talking about it!

Posted July 24, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I’ve definitely found some of my favorites that way. Now somebody needs to point me to an Irish blogger! 😉

3. Posted July 24, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

I use a combination of Yelp for restaurants and other sites, as well as recommendations from other bloggers. I recently saw a post from Grace on Stripes & Sequins about her visit to Ireland (http://www.stripesandsequins.com/2014/07/long-distance-friends.html). Her friend lives in Ireland – I haven’t checked out her blog much (she’s also a photographer), but it could have some recommendations. It’s at http://alymcloughlinharte.com/?cat=4. Victoria from vmac+cheese was recently in France and did a few posts about her trip. See her French Journals at http://vmacandcheese.com/category/travels/the-french-journals/. Enjoy your planning!

Posted July 24, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh this is awesome, Erica!! Thank you!!

4. Posted July 25, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I usually try to scout out local bloggers with similar interests when looking for interesting eateries in a new city. My favourite Irish blogs are Farmette, Edible Ireland and, of course, Donal Skehan. If you’re spending any time in Northern Ireland let me know. I lived in Belfast for six years and loved it so much I even brought a piece of it home with me – my husband! Have fun!

Posted August 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh, Kate, this is SOOOO insanely helpful! I’ve never been to any of these blogs and I’m loving them so much. And we’re totally going north! You have to tell me all of your Belfast recommendations!! (I’m so jealous that you lived there for six years.)

5. Posted July 26, 2014 at 6:12 am | Permalink

This just popped up in my inbox this morning, and I remembered seeing this post earlier, so thought I’d share in case it’s helpful: http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/best-apps-and-websites-for-travelers/1

Posted August 6, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

This is SO awesome, Meg! Devouring all of these recommendations now.

6. Posted August 7, 2014 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

Just stumbled upon your lovely blog via Trouve. I’m a DC transplant currently living abroad in Beijing. I, too, travel to eat and love blogs for recommendations. 🙂 The DesignSponge city guides are great http://www.designsponge.com/category/city And for Paris, David Liebovitz’s site is an indispensable resource! http://www.davidlebovitz.com/paris/ I also did a series of posts on France after our trip two years ago — at the bottom of this page I listed a bunch of links to blogs and other sites that I used as I researched for the trip: http://www.meatlovessalt.com/2012/09/not-eating-in-paris/

One Trackback