Field + Foundry with Bing // Baltimore

field + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threads
Our second Field + Foundry event took place in Baltimore in a beautiful little space called The Chicken Box that, once upon a time, really was.

With a long history as both a chicken restaurant and a Chinese restaurant, in recent years The Chicken Box was lucky enough to be adopted by the Station North Arts and Entertainment District and converted into a temporary arts space. This awesome group — the same folks behind Baltimore’s incredible Open Walls project — rent the space from the city for just $1 a month while the building remains vacant, and they were kind and generous enough to let us take it over for the night.

Once again, Baltimore proved that this area is brimming with some of the most creative folks around — and they all hit it off swimmingly. Friends old and new chatted it up without missing a beat. I led everyone in a little science experiment, otherwise known as a diy bitters project, and Matthew Swanson and Robbi Behr closed out the evening in the way that only they can… charming the pants off of everyone with their charisma and grace. And keeping everyone laughing with a rousing game of telephone, pictionary-style.

field + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threadsfield + foundry with bing // baltimore // a thousand threads
Dinner was an ode to Baltimore, with crab cakes, Berger cookies, and locally sourced ingredients, plus the most amazing gin-cured salmon, straight from Robbi and Matthew’s recent fishing trip in Alaska. Mark cured it himself.

For dessert, of course we also had pie.

I’ll be sharing our pasta and kale salad recipes later this week — for those who doubt that a kale salad can make your mouth water, I challenge you to try this one. It is truly, hands down, the best I’ve had.

A big, extra special thank you to Reema Desai for these gorgeous photos, and to Bing for making all of this possible!

Links to all of those involved in creating this event are below…

Event sponsorship: Bing // Location: Station North Arts and Entertainment District // Dinnerware and serveware: West Elm // Letterpress invitations and menus: Moxie Press Co. // Photography: Reema Desai // Speakers: Matthew Swanson and Robbi Behr of Idiots’Books, Bobbledy Books, and Press // Workshop leader: Laicie Heeley // Dinner: Mark Heeley & Dough Uprising (With a huge shoutout to Jonathan Bollhoefer for all of his help!)// Florals and styling: Laicie Heeley // Organizing and promotion: Laicie Heeley & Melissa Hope // Pies and bread: Dough Uprising // Gift bags: Bing, Artifact Uprising, Field Notes, Joshua Wolf Shenk, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Ingredients for the evening were sourced from Clear Spring Creamery, Cherry Glen Goat Cheese Company, Trouts Seafood, South Mountain Creamery, Tuscarora Organic Growers, Evensong Farm, Rock Hill Orchard, The Common Market, Bordeleau Winery, The Brewers Art, and Matt & Robbi themselves!

1. Posted September 30, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Looks awesome! I love the interior & the food looks delicious.
    20somethingfashion.blogspot.com

2. Posted September 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Looks gorgeous, love the apothecary bottles you used for the flowers!

Posted September 30, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kevin!! :)

3. Posted September 30, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

This looks absolutely incredible, and makes me so homesick for Baltimore!

Posted September 30, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Aww you need to come visit!! Thanks lady!

4. Posted September 30, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I love the beautiful yet very simple and effortless feel of the decor. Lovely table settings!

Posted October 1, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Thank you so much Katie!

5. Posted September 30, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful evening! I’ll have to check out a few of these artisans and creatives now that I’m calling Baltimore/Mount Vernon home (while still commuting to DC) these days. Everything came together so well.

Posted October 1, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Thank you Liz!! We’ll have to get together now that you’re a Marylander! Though I’m in DC almost every day too. 😉

6. Posted September 30, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

It was a whole lot of fun, and a much needed night for yours truly. Thank you so much for hosting!

Posted October 1, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for being there! It was so great to see you both.

7. Leanna
    Posted September 30, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

So very lovely and the food sounds wonderful! All of your hard work shows in these beautiful pictures. Wish your mother lived closer…I’m creative!

Posted October 1, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Me too. 😉

3 Trackbacks

• By How to make your own bitters - A Thousand Threads on October 10, 2014 at 1:38 pm

[…] taught a little workshop on the subject at our last Field + Foundry event, and today I’m over on West Elm’s blog detailing the […]

• By Field + Foundry Baltimore Dinner on October 16, 2014 at 8:01 am

[…] Field + Foundry Baltimore Dinner on September 20 was an absolute blast. When Melissa and Laicie of Field + Foundry asked me to design signage for the gathering, I jumped at the chance. These […]

• […] The event brings our summer and fall series full circle, with our first dinner in Virginia, our second in Maryland, and now our third in DC, and we left feeling energized and excited to see where Field + Foundry […]