First snow + Cranberry scones with clementine glaze

first snow + cranberry scones with clementine glaze // a thousand threads
The first big snow of the year always makes me think about Gilmore Girls — a reference Mark now understands, after having been forced to go along on all seven seasons of my trip down memory lane.

Somewhere in the season where Luke and Lorelai are happy, Lorelei wakes up in the middle of the night and drags Luke out of bed, so excited for the first flake to fall…

But by the middle of the following day, Lorelai and snow aren’t on such good terms.

I didn’t grow up with much of the fluffy white stuff on the coast, so I wait for it. Every year, I’m as impatient as a child on Christmas Eve. And when it finally comes, it’s glorious. Beautiful white blankets of snow make the whole world new for a day…

cranberry scones with clementine glaze // a thousand threads
But then there’s day two… when a girl is forced to dig out the car and trek through the snow, that’s now turned a slightly more disgusting shade of dirt, to work in 20 degree weather.

It’s the strongest of my love-hate relationships, but I cherish it nonetheless… because in the end, hey, maybe someone pours you an ice skating rink.

… and those little things that are suddenly possible eclipse the cold and the dirt and make it all okay.

Scones are at least as good as any old ice skating rink in my mind. A hearty scone and a cup of tea can go a long way to warm the soul on a 20 degree day… and I swear the toes too.

cranberry scones with clementine glaze // a thousand threadscranberry scones with clementine glaze // a thousand threads
Cranberry scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg, slightly beaten
2/3 cup dried cranberries
2 teaspoon milk
1 tablespoon sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles course meal. Add sour cream and egg, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in cranberries.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, and knead 4-5 times. Pat dough into 8 inch circle on greased baking sheet. Brush top with milk, sprinkle with sugar. Cut into 8 wedges using sharp knife, separate wedges slightly.

Bake at 400 degrees for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned.

Brush with clementine glaze. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
first snow + cranberry scones with clementine glaze // a thousand threadsfirst snow + cranberry scones with clementine glaze // a thousand threads
Clementine glaze

3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated clementine zest, plus 2 tablespoons strained clementine juice

Stir together sugar and zest and juice in a small bowl until glaze is smooth, thick, and opaque.

first snow + cranberry scones with clementine glaze // a thousand threads

1. Posted January 7, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe I’m actually wishing for snow after the winter we had last year, but I can’t help it. I’m a sucker for those first few hours of snow too. (Then I’m done.)

2. Michelle
    Posted January 7, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Beautiful post Laicie. I just finished watching all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls. I love that Luke!

3. Ruth
    Posted January 7, 2015 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

i love that episode! haha.

4. Posted January 7, 2015 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Oh how I love the first snow–and these scones look like the perfect thing for the day!

5. Posted January 8, 2015 at 12:00 am | Permalink

I arrived in Philly last night and was greeted by a winter wonderland. Woke up this morning scorching cold because of the wind chill. I had a terrible morning and was bundled up in my hat, winter coat, cashmere sweater, tights, two layers of socks, sweats, and two pairs of gloves. Indoors. Still freezing my butt off. I couldn’t even procrastinate properly! I spent the whole morning curled up in a pitiful ball on my bed. When my friends finally arrived on campus later in the day they helped me figure out the heating system so it got much better. And then we went out, braved the cold, and got dinner. After dinner we made a trip to Starbucks and never have I ever been so happy to slurp a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream dotting my nose! The team and I will be leaving campus soon to go to our location for our winter break training trip, so I’m excited for that. We’ll be staying in condos and cooking our own food. I’ll definitely share these recipes with them! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

6. Amanda L
    Posted January 8, 2015 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I love the snow as well, but I could do without the bone-chilling cold. -5° this morning? YUCK!

7. Posted January 12, 2015 at 3:56 am | Permalink

winter arrives, it’s time to relax and have a cup of coffee