Self portrait project + Friday links

52 self portraits // a thousand threads
I’m not sure if you’ve ever had the pleasure of staging your house, or of living in a staged house while it’s on the market, but let me tell you, it is a treat.

The rugs are gone, the liquor is gone, and all traces of human existence have been wiped out of sight… it’s a sterile, highly regimented sort of existence, something akin to boot camp or rehab.

But it does look beautiful… almost beautiful enough to make me sad that we’ve put it up for sale. Our first real family home…

… but only long enough to start to think, and dream, about what’s to come. A new, light-filled kitchen, a peaceful single-family home, a real yard! I’m trying not to get ahead of myself, so much could still happen. But what’s certain is that there are many, many exciting things to come. And that makes me look forward to the weekend just all that much more!

Before I go running full speed out the door though, Mark and I thought we’d try out a new project this week.

… over the past few years, this blog has truly stoked our mutual love for photography. We’ve learned and grown so much together, but we’re still learning more every day. And each discipline has its own special set of rules and creative boundaries to break… so we thought we’d play with one we haven’t explored as much: portraiture.

Building on our “52 dates” project, we’d love to take “52 self portraits” — just us and our little camera clicker, trying not to embarrass ourselves completely, and maybe even trying to make a little art…

I have to admit — this one scares me a whole lot more than the dates. Keeping things creative will be a weekly challenge, and generally I like to hide my face in photos. But it’s a challenge we’d like to explore, so let us know what you think!

We’re excited to push ourselves to think up a new shot to go with each Friday’s links, but we want you to have just as much fun with it as we are, so if you think you might dig it, let us know.

And enjoy the weekend ahead!!

… keep your fingers crossed that someone falls in love with our little house and the liquor comes back soon!

5 breakups for a healthier, happier you.

Oh man… these.

And these.

7 free tools for tracking blog post performance.

Super versatile pieces of furniture for every home.

Home perfection.

That looks about right.

Words that could conceivably be used to describe both the Super Bowl and a superb owl.

1. Kristen
    Posted January 30, 2015 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous!

2. Posted January 30, 2015 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Good luck! And omg I need that clock and those dumplings and nachos look soooo good! I’m really excited for your 52 project this year–your 52 project last year inspired me to do my own 52 project this year, and I’m 4 weeks in! I definitely agree about being more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. This’ll be really interesting to follow along 😀 -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

3. Posted January 30, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

I so love the idea of weekly self portraits. Have to adopt this one 🙂

4. Posted January 31, 2015 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Your 52 Dates project actually inspired my boyfriend and me to go out together more. I think that 52 portraits is a wonderful idea! I can’t wait to see all of them. 🙂

5. Posted January 31, 2015 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Your 52 dates project was so inspiring for me too (although I was a little late to the party and didn’t get to follow along in real time.) I think your self portrait will be equally inspiring—perhaps capturing some of the precious and quiet moments inside your home! xx

—Rebecca
    wanderdust.co

6. Posted January 31, 2015 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I absolutely love this idea! And three cheers for putting all the liquor back on the shelves!

7. Posted February 2, 2015 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I find your new idea really interesting and inspiring. Good luck! Think you’ll have a nice collection of pictures when you finish the 52! I took a blank book when I started dating my boy, and pasted a picture every month. After 4 years and a half it’s a beautiful way of collecting memories and remember together. Have a nice day!

Isabel
    xoxo

Posted February 2, 2015 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful idea!! And such a beautiful keepsake!